Black Cumin Seed Oil has long been prized as a key therapeutic medicinal herb in Ayurveda. With a history full of mystery, the ancient oil has been utilized in the Middle East, Africa, and Asia for thousands of years.
According to researchers, Black Cumin Seed Oil was first used by the Assyrians in ancient Egypt, with renowned figures like Cleopatra and Nefertiti adopting the ingredient into their skincare routines, beautifying baths, and medicines. Additionally, Egyptian Pharaoh Tutankhamen was buried alongside the oil.
While the benefits of Black Cumin Seed Oil are plentiful, the oil is relatively new to American skincare. However, with consumers demanding more naturally effective skincare, discovery of ancient ingredients such as Black Cumin is sure to only increase.
What is Black Cumin Seed Oil?
Black Cumin Seed Oil is cold-pressed from seeds of the Nigella sativa plant, which is native to eastern Europe and western Asia. Over time, the annual flowering plant has naturalized over a larger area consisting of parts of Europe and northern Africa.
Black Cumin Seed Oil has been utilized in traditional medicine for over 2,000 years due to its therapeutic properties and numerous applications of health. Also, in Ayurveda, Black Cumin is also called kalonji, upakuncika, karavi, and krishnajiraka. It is believed to increase the Pitta dosha. This medicinal oil is among the top-ranked evidence-based herbal medicines. It has been used to combat neurological and mental illnesses, cardiovascular disorders, cancer, diabetes, and inflammatory conditions. It has also been used to address infectious diseases due to bacterial, fungal, and parasitic, and viral infections.
The key constituents of Black Cumin Seed Oil and their advantages are:
- Thymoquinone: acts as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory for the skin
- Palmitic Acid – the most common saturated fatty acid with emollient properties
- Stearic Acid – cleansing and softening
- Oleic Acids (Omega-9) – anti-aging, boosts immunity, maintains the softness, suppleness, and radiance of the skin
- Linoleic Acids – anti-inflammatory, slows the look of aging by sustaining skin’s elasticity, soothes acne, and reduces the chance of future outbreaks
The Benefits of Black Cumin Seed Oil in Skincare
Applied topically, Black Cumin Seed Oil helps to nourish, moisturize, and protect skin from oxidative stress, which supports skin wellness. The oil is ideal for even the most sensitive skin, as its softening and firming qualities are known to reduce the appearance of scars.
Black Cumin Seed Oil is known for its “Three A” properties: anti-aging, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial. Incorporating Black Cumin Seed Oil into your skincare regime can be beneficial. Here’s why:
- It reduces the signs of aging. Black Cumin Seed Oil keeps skin’s elasticity intact while fighting free radicals that can cause wrinkles and fine lines.
- Its anti-inflammatory properties reduce redness and irritation. This oil is a holy grail for those suffering from eczema or psoriasis as it can help tame inflammation and it is a strong astringent that can help fight skin infections.
- It fights acne. Acne breakouts result from an overproduction of oil that collects in pores. Black Cumin Seed Oil is full of fatty acids that can help flush out the oil by surfacing healthy skin cells that dissolve fat pockets within pores.
- It fades dark spots. Vitamin A, fatty acids, and amino acids within Black Cumin Seed Oil work as a team to regenerate skin cells, resulting in neutralized dark spots.
DIY Black Cumin Seed Oil Uses
If you’re into DIY skincare, you can try adding Black Cumin Seed Oil to your regimen. If your skin is not sensitive, applying the oil neet can help treat visible skin ailments while hydrating and diminishing the look of fine lines. You can also add two drops of Black Cumin Seed Oil to your preferred face cream for added benefits.
DIY Face Mask
Try this homemade face mask recipe made with a dash of Black Cumin Seed Oil. It can help brighten, address the look of blemishes, and help purify skin (note that this recipe is not vegan):
- Make sure your face is cleansed, ensuring that all makeup has been removed.
- Mix 1 Tbsp. of Black Cumin Seed Oil, 3 Tbsp. Raw Organic Honey, and 3 Tbsp. Super-Finely-Ground Apricot Shell exfoliant in a small bowl.
- Using your fingertips, gently apply 1 Tbsp. of the mixture to your face and neck.
- After 10 minutes, rinse thoroughly.
- Finish off by moisturizing your skin with 2 drops of Black Cumin Seed Oil.
DIY Face Moisturizer
Here’s a DIY face moisturizer recipe that includes Black Cumin Seed Oil (this one is vegan):
- Combine 30 ml Jojoba Oil, 30 ml Sweet Almond Oil, 20 ml Borage Oil, 15 ml Rosehip Oil, 6 ml vegan Vitamin E-liquid, and 9 ml Black Cumin Seed Oil.
- After mixing the ingredients, rub 6 to 8 drops of the blend between your palms to warm the elixir.
- Gently massage onto your face and neck while avoiding the eye area.
Black Cumin Seed Oil for Medicinal Use
If you’re having respiratory issues and your medical practictioner approves, you can try diffusing Black Cumin Seed Oil. It is said to help enhance the wellness of your respiratory system, as its potency may alleviate symptoms of asthma and bronchitis.
Additionally, diffusing Black Cumin Seed Oil can help with stomach gas/pain, bloating, and gastrointestinal disorders. The oil has a carminative property, which enhances digestion and reduces discomforts. Be sure to consult with your doctor before trying anything new such as this, and be especially careful if you are pregnant.
Humanist Beauty Herban Wisdom™ Facial Oil
Adding a few drops of this Facial Oil to your nighttime skincare regimen will leave your skin visibly recharged with a balanced natural glow. Plus, the Herban Wisdom™ Facial Oil can also be used on pulse points and other skin externalities to soothe your mind, body, and soul.
If you’ve read this far, congratulations! Here’s a special promocode for 30% off your next order of Herban Wisdom™ Facial Oil: BLACKCUMINSEEDOIL. Limit one promocode use per customer.
Otherwise, you can pick up a free deluxe sample of the Herban Wisdom™ Facial Oil here. And when you receive your sample, you’ll get a promo code for $10 off your next $50 purchase.